Home Renovation and Improvement Loans
Buying a fixer-upper with
a home renovation loan
What’s a renovation loan?
When you’re shopping for a new home, you may have a wish list of features you’d like in your ideal house. More than likely, not every home you tour will check off every item on your list.
A renovation loan can help you customize a home the way you want it — all without using your cash reserves or incurring debt on your credit cards.
You can also use a renovation loan to buy a home that is below market value because of its condition. You can close on a home you can afford, customize it to make it your own and possibly end up with instant equity!
What are the benefits of a renovation loan?
- No need to spend additional out-of-pocket cash on up-front renovations
- Expanded your home search to include competitively priced older homes and fixer-uppers
- Purchase a home and borrow the funds you need for renovation projects in one 30-year fixed-rate mortgage — everything from basic repairs to room additions and more (ask us for the complete list)
With a renovation loan:
- You could qualify for a down payment as low as 3% or 3.5% if you’re applying for a Fannie Mae Homestyle or FHA 203(k) loan.
- You may qualify for 0% down if you’re a veteran.
- You’ll have peace of mind knowing the renovations are done the way you want by the contractor of your choice.
- There is no need to worry about post-closing costs like inspections, permit fees, architectural or engineering drawings, and the supplemental origination fee. These fees can be financed into your renovation escrow account.
- You’ll have the security of a contingency reserve. We know once you start your project, you may uncover additional health or safety repairs that need to be done. We will build in an additional 10 to 20% of your bid cost as a contingency reserve to use as a safety net.
- You can finance up to 6 months of mortgage payments into the loan. For larger projects where it’s not possible or preferable to live in the home during renovations, you can avoid paying your mortgage and your rent at a temporary residence the same time.
Home Renovation Loan Options
- Limited: Perfect for smaller projects and a total cost under $35,000 without structural renovations.
- Standard: Ideal if the total project cost is over $35,000 or structural repairs are in your renovation plans.
- Low down payment of 3.5% of the total acquisition cost for single-family or multi-family homes up to four units.
- Down payments starting as low as 3% of the total acquisition cost – perfect for renovation projects big and small
- Both programs offer the option to purchase and renovate a single-family investment property or vacation home
- Eligible veterans can qualify for 100% financing to purchase and renovate a home.
- Tailored for smaller renovation projects with a total cost under $35,000 without structural repairs.
View some of our purchase programs. Should you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us,...
Are you deciding if you should continue to rent or buy a home? Consider these advantages of...
Let us guide you through the home financing process. Get all the home loan help and resources...